Experienced Senior Investigator
As a Senior Investigator, you will be managing a team of PIP2 investigators and mentoring Trainees so will have experience of mentoring and developing staff. You will be required to act as a supervising officer in serious and organised crime investigations so will be experienced in managing risk, and have proven experience in decision making and managing resources.
You will be working closely with other NCA departments and partner agencies to identify threats from criminality and work in a challenging environment to pursue offenders. There may be the potential requirement to deploy as a surveillance operative, demanding full flexibility and the ability to work long hours at short notice.
We have varied roles within the Investigations command including; surveillance, complex case preparation, Cyber and Digital Forensic officers. This diverse team enables Investigations to pursue the most challenging and difficult criminals.
Every day will be different. Using innovative approaches and ground breaking techniques you will be making decisions which help to disrupt and bring to justice criminals who present the highest threat to the UK.
You may be expected to work directly or indirectly in tackling child sexual exploitation and abuse. This may involve exposure to child sexual abuse images and material. All officers working on or supporting this type of operational activity will undergo a psychological assessment on taking up the role and at regular intervals once in post.
By applying for this role you are confirming that you are willing to work on child sexual exploitation and abuse operations.
37,536 - 40,800 pa + London weighting
Roles based in London will receive an additional London Weighting Allowance of 3,258. Pay principles on Civil Service transfers apply for current civil servants transferring to the NCA at the equivalent grade.
Roles are available in London, Warrington, Belfast, Scotland, Bridgend, Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, East Midlands, North East and South East.
When completing the online application form you will be given the opportunity to state up to three preferred locations.
All of our Experienced Senior Investigators are required to hold either a 'Professionalising Investigation Programme' investigative skills at level 2 Supervisor (PIP2 supervisor) College of Policing accreditation and/or ALL of the equivalent points listed below relating to investigative and supervisory experience in either serious, complex or major crime. This evidence should have been attained within the last 12 months.
Experienced Senior Investigators who join the agency without PIP2 supervisor accreditation will be required to achieve this, including passing any exams (National Investigators Exam (NIE) and/or the NCA Specific Powers Exam (SPE), within their probationary period (or 12 months).
Please attach evidence of your PIP2 supervisor certificate with your application.
You will be asked to provide examples that evidence how you meet the investigative experience and managerial skills within your application.
- Knowledge, understanding and awareness of how to obtain/conduct search warrants applying a range of legislation at Magistrates' and Crown Courts
- Knowledge and understanding of conducting arrests; competent and experienced at interviewing suspects (including knowledge of custody time limits/procedures, extensions and authorisations), and at use of bad character evidence, bail (including evidence of completion of any serious and complex / advanced / specialist interview courses) Competent and experienced at interviewing witnesses (including evidence of completion of any serious and complex / advanced / specialist interview courses, often known as Achieving Best Evidence (ABE), Tier 2 or Tier 3)
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and awareness around seizure of exhibits, continuity of evidence, and seize/sift legislation, including experience in disclosure, and scheduling of material, including knowledge of CPIA legislation (and any specific courses in relation to this)
- Experienced and competent in completing case files and in liaison with prosecuting agencies / authorities
- Recent experience of supervising or managing a team of investigators who delivered high quality criminal justice outcomes against serious organised crime, managing risk and resources with proven experience in decision making and experience of mentoring and developing staff
- PIP2 supervisor or equivalent
These additional skills may be taken into consideration when posting.
- Tier 2 or Tier 3 Interview trained
- ABE trained
- SCAIDP training
- IT / Computer science experience
- Computer Science degree/ IT professional qualification or equivalent
- Operational Skills Training (SOS) Stage 1 & 2 or equivalent
- RIPA, CPIA training
- Surveillance accreditation
The Selection Process
- Stage 1 - all candidates to complete the on-line application form, providing a 750 word statement to evidence the selection criteria outlined above. Candidates with PIP2 supervisor accreditation should attach the relevant certificate with their application
- Stage 2 - shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview, where you will be assessed on the above selection criteria together with 'Making effective decisions' and 'Leading and Communicating' behaviours
Candidates who meet the required standard at interview will be posted in merit order by their location preferences.Candidates who are not initially posted as a result of this recruitment process will be placed onto a reserve list to be considered for potential vacancies over a 12 month period in merit order and by location preference.
- The NCA is a 24/7 organisation, and working patterns must support business requirements. You may be required to respond at short notice or outside of core hours.
- Officers may be required to travel throughout the UK and overseas.
- NCA are able to offer these opportunities on a permanent and secondment basis.
- You could be deployed to work on any type of investigation, including, but not limited to Child Sexual Exploitation, Cyber or Financial investigations.