Full Time, Permanent Contract
Location – Hull
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams
Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
With the support of our customers, ABP’s Ports on the Humber – Hull, Goole, Grimsby and Immingham - contribute £2.2 billion to the UK economy every year.
The Humber ports support 33,000 jobs and together handle more than 65 million tonnes of cargo.
ABP's Humber facilities offer customers close links to markets in mainland Europe and Scandinavia and expertise in a broad range of cargoes, including energy, vehicles, roll-on roll-off, containers, bulks,
liquid bulks and forest products.
To ensure that ABP's direct operations and agreed customer requirements are met, working in line with: acceptable behavioural safety standards, KPI Targets, environmental compliance and quality standards. Optimising performance and continually improving the operation.
The role will require the individual to work with multiple cargo types, plant and machinery to specified targets. The successful candidate will be required at times to work across the Humber Ports of Immingham, Grimsby, Hull & Goole.
- Participate in any training deemed necessary in order to improve individual skills and knowledge and efficiency of the company
- Subject to suitable training, operate Plant and Equipment (including Pre Start checks), during vessel loading / discharging and cargo storage operations
- To actively promote ABP's safety and environmental culture and ensure compliance with Health Safety and Environmental requirements and other legislation including contributing to the development and review of Risk Assessments and Safe Systems of Work
- To carry out the job role in accordance with Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work and to proactively participate in Tool Box Talks
- Where relevant, understand and ensure targets are met ensuring that targets and operations remain continuous around safe and timely handover of shifts
- Cleaning of equipment and site as required and assisting in various other port duties (some of which may be of a physical nature and may include working at height)
- Take an active approach in identifying improvements and opportunities to the Operational plan, safety and environment
- Foster good working relationships with other Port users, tenants and customers. Act as an ABP role model at all times
- Actively work towards ABP's 6 strategic pillars - putting customers first, creating a great workplace, working safely and sustainably, continuous improvement, providing effective infrastructure & being good neighbours
- Have a proactive approach towards ABP's values - Honesty & Openness, Teamwork & Respect, Making a Difference, Exceeding Expectations, Health & Safety
Skills and Experience
- Proactive attitude to Health & Safety and a willingness to contribute to / improve Risk Assessments and Safe Systems of Work
- Experience of working in a busy and fast-paced environment with the ability to work towards set targets
- Full UK driving (car or motorbike) licence and must have own transport
- A willingness to obtain Port Operations to NVQ level 2/3 or equivalent
- Numeracy and literacy skills
- Ability to navigate IT equipment e.g. smartphone, hand held terminals, etc.
- Experience of operating plant & equipment, preferably in a similar industrial environment (Cranedriving and Cargo Lashing would be particularly advantageous)
- Previous experience of contributing to Risk Assessments and Safe Systems of Work would be advantageous
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.